Friday, October 17, 2014

Really Good Books I Have Read So Far in 2014 and Commend to the Greater Public


For as far back as I can remember I have always loved to read.  When I was young I devoured the "Hardy Boys" books and "The Three Investigators" series.  I loved the excitement of reading--of magically placing myself into exciting situations in foreign places. My parents, to their credit, were very good about taking me to the library and local book stores to feed my constant hunger.

I developed a taste for nonfiction books in junior high, with a particular hunger for anything pertaining to United States history.  That hunger continued to grow through high school and then college where I majored in history and minored in political science. My interests now are primarily nonfiction in nature, although I do love a great novel every now and then!

I was recently browsing through the books that I have read in 2014 and realized how blessed I was to have read them.  They each helped me to grow as a person, as a husband, as a father, and as a Christian.  Some of them are fiction and they helped to shape my imagination, while others are more academic in nature and they helped to develop my mind.  Others still, are emotional reads, and they helped me to shed a quiet tear of sadness.

Below, in no particular order, are books I have read this year and commend to you.  I would love to read any thoughts you have toward any of the selections.


The Little Way of Way of Ruthie Lemming: A Southern Girl, A Small Town, and the Secret of a Good Life by Rod Dreher











The Creedal Imperative by Carl Trueman












The Jesus Storybook Bible: Every Story Whispers His Name by Sally Lloyd-Jones












How to Read a Book:The Classic Guide to Intelligent Reading by Mortimer J. Adler











The Lost Soul of American Protestantism by D.G. Hart












Surprised by Oxford: A Memoir by Carolyn Weber












The God Who Makes Himself Known: The Missionary Heart of the Book of Exodus (New Studies in Biblical Theology Series) by W. Ross Blackburn











Presbyterians and American Culture: A History by Bradley J. Longfield












Republocrat: Confessions of a Liberal Conservative by Carl Trueman












In Search of Deep Faith: A Pilgrimage into the Beauty, Goodness, and Heart of Christianity by Jim Belcher











Voyage to Alpha Centauri by Michael D. O'Brien












The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas












Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson

2 comments:

  1. Mark, nice eclectic mix of titles. Can you recommend a good read on church history, please?
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete